Transit without visa arrangements
Important: The information on this page is not applicable to stateless persons and refugees.
Some travellers do not need a transit visa if they:
- depart Australia by air within 8 hours of the scheduled time of their arrival
- hold confirmed onward booking and documentation necessary to enter the country of their destination
- remain in the transit lounge at an airport.
Note: Travellers changing airlines in Australia are advised to verify with their airlines whether they will need to personally re-check their luggage as part of the transiting process. If so, a visa will be required to retrieve and re-check their luggage before departure.
The following categories of travellers are covered under this arrangement:
- Citizens of the these countries:
Andorra, Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kiribati, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of South Africa, Republic of Marshall Islands, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Tonga, Tuvalu, the United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, U.S.A., Vanuatu and Vatican City.
- Residents of Taiwan holding a passport issued by the authorities of Taiwan (other than passports purported to be official or diplomatic passports).
- People holding British passports (irrespective of endorsement in passport regarding national status)
- People who are nationals of the People's Republic of China and who hold Hong Kong (SAR China) passports.
- People who hold diplomatic passports. However, this is not applicable to nationals of these countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Bahrain, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Comoros, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Madagascar, Mauritania, Morocco, Pakistan, Qatar, the Republic of Yemen, the Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Zimbabwe, Arab Non-National Passport Holders (ANNPH) or Taiwanese holding diplomatic or official passports.
Note: The information on this page is current at time of publication and may be subject to change.
If you do not qualify for transit without a visa, you will need to apply for a Transit Visa (subclass 771) which is free of charge.
See: Transit Visa