For people to visit Australia for a holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational reasons, to visit relatives, friends or for other short-term non-work purposes.

Visa Options

There are a number of visas available for people to visit Australia as a tourist.

Extending Your Stay

To remain longer in Australia than your original visa allows, you are required to obtain another visa. If you want to remain in Australia for tourism or recreational purposes or to visit family or friends, you may apply for a Visitor visa.

Generally, as a holder of a Visitor visa or Working Holiday visa you can only extend your stay in Australia so that the total duration of your stay is 12 months or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances. If you hold a Visitor or Working Holiday visa which allows you to stay in Australia for 12 months, you should contact your nearest Australian visa office before applying for a Visitor visa.

You should also note that a further visa, if granted, will cease any visa or ETA currently held and the entitlements attached to that visa or ETA.

If you are refused a further visa, you must leave Australia before the expiry of your original visa.
See: Visitor Visa (Subclass 600)