You can apply for eligible family members to come to Australia as dependants in one of two ways:
- by including them in your student visa application
See Find a visa.
- by applying for them to join you after you have been granted your student visa to study in Australia.
- You must declare all family members on your application, even if they do not plan to travel with you to Australia. If you do not do this, your family members will not be eligible for the grant of student visas as your dependants to join you in Australia. An exception to this is if they became your family members after your student visa was granted and before a subsequent application is made.
- You must provide proof of your relationship to each family member such as officially issued birth and marriage certificates.
- You must also demonstrate that you have enough money to support the members of your family unit such as your spouse or dependent child, even if they do not plan to travel with you to Australia. See Student visa living costs and evidence of funds.
- Your family members must meet specific requirements to be eligible for a student visa as your dependants. These include genuine temporary entrant, health and character requirements.
- If you are subject to assessment level three, your family members are only eligible to accompany you to Australia if your course is 12 months or longer except under certain circumstances. See Bringing family for more information.
The table below outlines the three-stage process to apply for family members to join you after you have started your course in Australia.
Sending documents with your application
If you are applying for your dependants to join you in Australia after you have started your course, you will need to provide the following:
- Form 919 Nomination of student dependants
- Form 157A Application for a student visa
- an original letter from the education provider stating:
- the course you are studying
- the duration of the course and your expected completion date
- if you are satisfying course requirements
- evidence that you have enough money to support your dependants in Australia
- evidence of your relationship with your dependants in the form of officially issued birth and marriage certificates
- evidence of school enrolment for your school-aged dependants
- evidence of health insurance for each dependant.