Non Award Sector: Temporary Visa (Subclass 575) - Assessment Level 1
About this Visa
On this page
This visa is designed for international students who want to study the following courses in Australia:
- a non-award foundation studies course
- other full-time course (or components of a course) that does not lead to an Australian award.
Exception: If you are studying a non-award course as a pre-requisite to another course, you must apply for the visa appropriate for your main course of study. If you are studying several courses, the main course is the higher level course.
Example: If you plan to complete a three-month non-award foundation studies course before starting a Bachelor of Arts degree, you must apply for the Higher Education Sector visa.
This visa is for you if you want to do one of the following:
- apply for your first student visa
- apply for subsequent student visa
- apply to join a family member who is in Australia on a student visa.
If you are applying in Australia for this visa, you must either be the current holder of a qualifying visa or have held a certain visa no more than 28 days prior to lodging your application.
See: Qualifying Visas for Student Visas
You must pay a non-refundable visa application charge when you lodge your visa application.
See: Visa Charges ( 86KB PDF file)
With this visa:
- you can study in Australia
- eligible dependant family members can accompany you to Australia
- when you have commenced your course of study in Australia, you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks.
- your family members can work up to 40 hours per fortnight provided you have commenced your course of study in Australia.
Note: If you have been granted Student visa before 26 April 2008 you and your dependent family members may need to apply separately for Permission to Work.
See: How to Apply for Permission to Work
- your partner can study in Australia for up to three months.
Note: If your partner wants to study for more than three months they must apply for their own student visa. The application can be made in Australia.
Your assessment level is determined by your nationality and course of study.
See: Student Visa Program - Assessment Levels (formerly known as Form 1219i) ( 73KB PDF file)