Higher Education Sector: Temporary Visa (Subclass 573) - Assessment Level 1
About this Visa
On this page
This visa is designed for international students applying to study in Australia and whose main course of study is one of the following:
- Bachelor degree
- associate degree
- graduate certificate
- graduate diploma
- Masters by coursework
- Higher Education diploma
- Higher Education advanced diploma.
This visa is for you if you want to do one of the following:
- apply for your first student visa
- apply for subsequent student visa
- apply to join a family member who is in Australia on a student visa.
If you are applying in Australia for this visa, you must either be the current holder of a qualifying visa or have held a certain visa no more than 28 days prior to lodging your application.
See: Qualifying Visas for Student Visas
You must pay a non-refundable visa application charge when you lodge your visa application.
See: Visa Charges ( 84KB PDF file)
With this visa:
- you can study in Australia
- eligible dependant family members can accompany you to Australia
- when you have commenced your course of study in Australia, you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight while your course is in session and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks.
- your family members can work up to 40 hours per fortnight provided you have commenced your course of study in Australia. If you are doing a postgraduate course, such as a Masters degree, your family members can work unlimited hours once you commence this course.
Note: If you have been granted Student visa before 26 April 2008 you and your dependent family members may need to apply separately for Permission to Work.
See: How to Apply for Permission to Work
- your partner can study in Australia for up to three months.
Note: If your partner wants to study for more than three months they must apply for their own student visa. The application can be made in Australia.
Your assessment level is determined by your nationality and course of study.
See: Student Visa Program - Assessment Levels (formerly known as Form 1219i) ( 73KB PDF file)