From 24 November 2012 the Occupational Trainee (subclass 442) visa will no longer be open to new applications. This will be replaced by the new Training and Research (subclass 402) visa.
See: Training and Research visa - Transitional Arrangements
Occupational Trainee Visa (Subclass 442)
Stream 2: Structured Training to Enhance Skills in an Eligible Occupation
Occupational training eligible under this nomination stream is training that:
- involves a structured workplace training program
- is specifically tailored to the training needs of the nominated person
- is of a duration that meets the specific training needs of the nominated person
- is related to an eligible occupation
- involves a nominated person that has recent and suitable prior experience to undertake the training.
To be assessed under this nomination stream, the occupational trainee sponsor needs to:
- indicate on the nomination that the occupational training is structured training to enhance skills in an eligible occupation (stream two)
- attach the structured training program that is specifically tailored to the training needs of the nominated person.
See: Form 1378 – Nomination for temporary resident position (249KB PDF file)
The training program should be structured to meet the specific training needs of the nominated person in order to enhance their skills. A structured program should include:
- an outline of the objectives of the training program and the type of work activities involved
- details of the curriculum and the specific training tasks to be undertaken throughout the program
- the location of the training activities, including details of the various components which may be at different locations
- details of the training duration and timeframes for the various training tasks to be conducted
- a skills audit (including English language skills) that assesses the person’s existing skills and identifies their training needs
- details of all supervisors, trainers, and assessors including their qualifications and experience
- the learning outcomes and how these will be monitored and assessed.
The Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (CSOL) contains occupations that the training must relate to in order to be eligible for this nomination stream. You must ensure that your nominated training relates to one of the eligible occupations found on the CSOL for this visa.
See: Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (Schedule 1 and Schedule 2) ( 76K B PDF file)
The nominated person must have prior and recent experience in the identified occupation that the proposed occupational training relates. This experience may include employment experience or study experience but must:
- be the equivalent of at least 12 months fulltime experience in the occupation
- have occurred in the 24 months immediately preceding the time of nomination.
Before lodging an application, please read all related eligibility requirements.