From 24 November 2012 the Occupational Trainee (subclass 442) visa will no longer be open to new applications. This will be replaced by the new Training and Research (subclass 402) visa.
See: Training and Research visa - Transitional Arrangements
Occupational Trainee Visa (Subclass 442)
Stream 1: Occupational Training Required for Registration
Occupational training eligible under this nomination stream is workplace training or practical experience that:
- is necessary for the nominated person to obtain registration in their identified occupation
- involves a mandatory registration requirement to be employed in the identified occupation of the nominated person
- is of a duration necessary for the nominated person to meet the registration requirement in the identified occupation, taking into account their prior experience
The nominated person should have appropriate skills to undertake the occupational training.
To be assessed under this nomination stream, the occupational trainee sponsor needs to:
- indicate on the nomination that the occupational training is required for registration (stream one)
- attach a letter from the relevant regulatory body advising that the training is necessary for the nominated person to obtain mandatory registration to work in the identified occupation.
The letter needs to be from the actual body or organisation that is responsible for the registration of professionals for the identified occupation. The regulatory body may be the regulatory body for the occupation in Australia or in the nominated person’s home country.
This letter provides evidence to the department that the training is required for registration purposes and is eligible for nomination under stream one. If necessary, the department may contact the regulatory body to confirm the registration requirement and whether the proposed duration of training is necessary.
See: Form 1378 Nomination for temporary resident position (249K B PDF file)
Health practitioners who are treating patients as part of their occupational training are required to have conditional or provisional registration from the relevant national, state or territory regulatory body. Nominations for health practitioners must include a letter from the relevant registration authority advising that the nominated person has conditional or provisional registration for the training.
Before lodging an application, please read all related eligibility requirements.