Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 119/857)
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 119/857) visa is closed to new applications from 1 July 2012. Only eligible dependent applicants can be added to an existing application that was lodged on or before 30 June 2012.
From 1 July 2012 a new Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme visa is available.
About this Visa
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) allows employers in regional, remote or low population growth areas of Australia, to sponsor employees who are foreign nationals for a permanent visa to work in Australia.
This visa is available to employers operating in regional, remote or low population growth areas of Australia, who have nominated skilled workers to fill skilled vacancies in their business and lodged an employer nomination on or before 30 June 2012.
The employees must be either of the following:
- skilled workers from overseas
- skilled temporary residents currently in Australia.
The RSMS (subclass 119) visa is for applicants who were outside Australia and lodged an RSMS (subclass 119) visa application on or before 30 June 2012.
The RSMS (subclass 857) visa is for applicants who are in Australia and lodged an RSMS (subclass 857) visa application on or before 30 June 2012.
This visa allows you and any dependent family members included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia.
Australian permanent residents can:
- live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
- study in Australia at school or university
- receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
- access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
- be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
- sponsor people for permanent residence.