Review of the Application of the Migration Act to Offshore Resource Workers
The Migration Maritime Taskforce has been established to explore how best to apply the Migration Act 1958 to resource project workers in Australian waters. The key objectives of the review are to:
- ensure that the right to work in the offshore resources industry by people who are not Australian citizens, is, to the maximum extent permitted by Australia’s international obligations, regulated consistently in all areas over which Australia has jurisdiction
- create legislative certainty in order to promote continuing investment in the offshore resources industry
- promote opportunities for Australians to work on Australian resources
- protect the rights of workers in the offshore resources industry
- maintain the integrity in existing, interrelated border legislation.
The Review is expected to conclude in early 2013, following which the government will consider necessary legislative and regulatory changes.
For further information, contact the Migration Maritime Taskforce.