Find a visa Find the right visa for your needs

Visa Options for Nurses

Doctors and Nurses

Nurses sponsored by an employer

Temporary Work (Skilled) Visa (Subclass 457)

For registered nurses to work in Australia for an approved business sponsor, for up to four years. Your accompanying family members can work and study in Australia.

Employer Nomination Scheme

Overseas nurses under 50 years of age with qualifications and work experience as a registered nurse, may be eligible for a permanent visa under this scheme.

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme

Overseas nurses with qualification and skills requirements relevant to their nominated occupations may be eligible for a permanent visa. Under this scheme, nurses can be nominated by an Australian employer to work and live in regional Australia.

Skilled Migration

There is a range of visa options under the Skilled Migration program for skilled workers who want to live in Australia and who do not have an employer sponsoring them. These include options for skilled people applying as an independent migrant as well as those sponsored by an eligible Australian relative or nominated by a state or territory government. To be eligible to apply for a skilled migration visa, nurses must pass a points test and meet a range of basic requirements.
See: Visa Options

Applicants for skilled migration must obtain a skills assessment from the Australia Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) even if currently registered to work as a nurse in an Australian state or territory.

Working Holidays

Working Holidays

If you are between 18 and 30, you may be able to come to Australia temporarily for a working holiday. This visa allows you to stay for 12 months and work as a nurse with any one employer for a maximum of six months, provided your work remains incidental to your holidays.

Improving your skills

Nurses who do not have the qualifications to work as a nurse in Australia can do a bridging program to improve their skills. There are some temporary visa options available for you to do this.

Training and Research (Occupational Trainee Stream) Visa

For nurses to undertake a supervised, workplace-based training program in Australia. This option is good for training programs of three months or longer.

Visitor (Business Stream) Visa (Subclass 600)

Ideal for nurses to undertake an approved bridging or pre-registration program for less than three months. Nurses who successfully complete the course may be able to apply in Australia for a Temporary Work (Skilled) visa.

Student visa

To obtain a student visa, your nursing course must be registered.
See: Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)

Further information on student visas is available.
See: Student Visa Options

Last reviewed Tuesday 19 November 2013

Was this page useful?