Find a visa Find the right visa for your needs

Skills Assessment and Assessing Authorities

Professionals and Other Skilled Migrants

On this page:

What is the skills assessment requirement?

To apply for a Points Tested Skilled Migration visa, at time of invitation you must nominate an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list. You must provide evidence that your skills have been assessed as suitable for your nominated occupation by the relevant assessing authority.
See: Skilled Occupation Lists

You must provide from the relevant assessing authority a full (permanent) skills assessment which must be used for Points Tested Skilled Migration. The criterion by which an assessing authority undertakes different types of skills assessments is determined by the assessing authority in accordance with relevant professional standards.

Some assessing authorities issue a provisional or subclass 485 skills assessment for recent graduates of Australian educational institutions applying for a subclass 485 visa. The primary difference is that a subclass 485 skills assessment does not require employment in the applicant's occupation at the skilled level unlike a full or permanent skills assessment. A suitable provisional skills assessment issued for subclass 485 is not a suitable skills assessment for a Points Tested Skilled Migration visa.

For doctors, evidence of full registration is a suitable skills assessment for Points Tested Skilled Migration. We will accept one of the following certificates issued by the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency as evidence of full registration:

  • full/unconditional/general medical registration
  • conditional specialist registration - this registration allows you to practise only in your particular speciality, with no further training or supervision requirements.

For solicitors, evidence of admission to practice as a lawyer in the relevant Sate/Territory is a suitable skills assessment.

Who can assess your skills

The SOL and CSOL provides a complete list of the relevant assessing authority for each occupation on the lists.

It is your responsibility to contact the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation and obtain a skills assessment. Each assessing authority has its own assessment procedures, timeframes and charges. You are strongly advised to contact the relevant assessing authority to arrange your skills assessment well before you intend to submit your Expression of Interest in SkillSelect.
Skilled Occupation List
Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List (255KB PDF file)
Australian Skills Recognition Information

How to get your skills assessed

In almost all cases, assessing bodies will require that you have post-secondary, such as university or trade, qualifications in order to receive a positive assessment of your skills.

In a small number of occupations, substantial relevant work experience may be acceptable. Each assessing authority will be able to advise you what the qualification requirements are for the occupations they assess.

Assessing authorities role in finding you employment in Australia

Assessing authorities are responsible for undertaking skills assessments for migration purposes and are not employment agencies. The assessing authorities will not reply to requests for job placement. They cannot give advice on the likely success of your visa application.

Submitting more than one skills assessment

You can only have one nominated occupation when you lodge your Points Tested Skilled Migration application. Prior to submitting your Expression of Interest you may, however, apply to any number of skills assessing authorities until you obtain a suitable skills assessment. You are unable to change your nominated occupation once you are invited to apply for a Points Tested Skilled Migration visa in SkillSelect.
See: Australian Skills Recognition Information

Evidence to attach to your application

Once you are invited to apply and lodge a valid application you must provide a scanned certified copy of a suitable skills assessment by the relevant assessing authority for your nominated skilled occupation.

Last reviewed Wednesday 26 February 2014

Was this page useful?