Skilled – Sponsored (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 176)
The department is not accepting any new applications for this visa.
The following information applies to you, if you lodged an application for this visa subclass on or before 30 June 2012.
If you are interested in the Points Tested skilled migration you must use SkillSelect to submit an Expression of Interest for a skilled visa. You are able to submit an Expression of Interest from anywhere in the world.
If you are a provisional visa holder and you want to apply for a second provisional visa or add a family member to your application you may be eligible to apply for the Skilled Regional (Provisional) subclass 489 visa.
See: Skilled – Nominated or sponsored (Provisional) (subclass 489) visa
About this Visa
This visa allows you to migrate to Australia if you have competent English language and other skills and attributes which will contribute the most to the Australian economy.
This visa uses a points test to select visa applicants with characteristics needed in the Australian labour market.
You must be sponsored by an eligible relative living in Australia or obtain nomination from a participating State or Territory government agency.
Who is this visa for?
This visa is for you if you:
- are under 50 years of age
- have competent English language skills
- have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
The SOL is a list of skilled occupations of high value to the Australian labour market.
See: Skilled Occupation List
This visa also requires that either:
- you or your partner have an eligible relative living in Australia who is willing and able to sponsor you
- you have a nomination from a participating State or Territory government agency.
Note: All State and Territory governments in Australia are participating in this visa scheme.
You must pay the relevant visa application charge when you lodge your visa application.
See: Visa Charges ( 84KB PDF file)
What does this visa let me do?
This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia.
Australian permanent residents can:
- live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
- study in Australia at school, Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector or university
- receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
- access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
- be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
- sponsor people for permanent residence.