Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (from Subclass 173 to Subclass 143)
About this Visa
This visa allows parents to migrate to Australia permanently, to join their children who are living in Australia.
Who is this visa for?
This visa is for you if you hold a Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (Subclass 173) and want to apply for the permanent Contributory Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 143).
You can apply for this visa any time before your Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa expires.
Your partner and other family members may be included in your application if they meet certain requirements.
How much will this visa cost?
You must pay a visa application charge when you lodge your application. This application charge covers you and all family members included in your application and will usually not be refunded if your application is unsuccessful, or if you decide to withdraw your application after you have lodged it. A second visa application charge for each person included in the application is also required before the visa is granted.
See: Visa Charges ( 84KB PDF file)
What does this visa let me do?
This visa allows you, your accompanying partner and dependent family members to live as permanent residents in Australia.
You can also:
- work and study in Australia
- receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
- access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
- be eligible to apply for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
- sponsor people for permanent residence (subject to waiting periods).