The Impact of Immigration on the Ageing of Australia's Population
By: Peter McDonald and Rebecca Kippen
This report was released by the former Minister for Immigration and Multicultural Affairs, Philip Ruddock, on 11 August 1999. The report is available on this website in HTML or PDF format.
Table of contents
- May 1999
- A Statement of the Issue
- Why is Our Population Ageing?
- Research and Opinion on the Issue: 1983-1998
- Against the Flow? Alvarado and Creedy
- The Issue Reborn: 1999
- A Revisionist View: Glenn Withers and 'A Younger Australia'
- The Real Questions
- A Standard Population Projection
- Ageing and Variations in Fertility and Mortality
- Ageing and Variations in the Level of Migration
- Ageing and Variations in the Age Structure of the Immigrants
- Ageing and Variations in the Fertility of Immigrants
- Comparative and Cumulative Impacts on Ageing of Different Immigration Options
- Australia's Changing Age Structure
- Appendix 1 - Alternative Age Structures of Australian Net Migration
The report is available as a PDF file.
See: The Impact of Immigration on the Ageing of Australia's Population (98KB PDF file)