Recently published research
Listed below are the most recent research project reports and speeches.
- Contribution of family migration to Australia (2013) (1.2MB PDF)
This research, undertaken for the department by the Australian Demographic and Social Research Institute of the Australian National University, examines the characteristics of people who have migrated to Australia as partners, their social and economic contributions, the factors that affect their contributions, and the nature of family-related migration networks.
- The role of family migration in Australia's permanent migration program (2013) (237KB PDF)
This policy discussion paper, by Professor Peter McDonald, from the Australian National University, complements the research report on the 'Contribution of family migration to Australia'.
- Family migration to Australia: literature review (2012) (480KB PDF)
Completed in mid-2012, this departmental literature review informed the research project about family migration by the Australian National University's Australian Demographic and Social Research Institute. The different categories of family migration, the contributions of family migrants and the factors that limit or enhance them are covered in the review.
- McDonald, P. and Temple, J. The Long Term Effects of Ageing and Immigration upon Labour Supply and Per Capita Gross Domestic Product: Australia 2012-2062 (October 2013)
This research evaluates the long term effects of ageing and immigration upon Australia's labour supply and per capita gross domestic product (GDP). Findings from this research suggest that the levels of net overseas migration (NOM) in excess of 160 000 are desirable in the short and the long term from the perspective of the economic outcomes and that the broader economic outcomes are more favourable if migrants have high levels of labour force participation and low levels of unemployment. The full report can be accessed at Demographic Insight.
The experiences of Irregular Maritime Arrivals detained in immigration detention facilities (2013) (1.3MB PDF)
Addendum: Research methodology - The experiences of Irregular Maritime Arrivals detained in immigration detention facilities (2013) (444KB PDF)
This research aims to inform improvements in the department's administration of detention policies and programs. It was conducted by independent researchers from the Social Policy Research Centre (SPRC) at the University of New South Wales, which also subcontracted the Australian Survey Research Group to assist with the project.
A sociological investigation of illegal work in Australia (2013) (760KB PDF)
This research, conducted by Hall & Partners | Open Mind, is a sociological investigation of people working in breach of their visa conditions and their employers to identify the psychological, situational and behavioural drivers that facilitate illegal work.
- Review of refugee decision making within the current POD process (2012) (416KB PDF)
This paper was written by Sue Tongue, Senior Counsel, Minter Ellison Lawyers.
- The Management of Enforced Removals in Australia: A Client Perspective (2012) (475KB PDF)
- Skilled Migration Selection Policies: Recent Australian Reforms (2012)
- Economic Impact of the Inverbrackie Alternative Place of Detention (2012) (1.0MB PDF)
- Social Impacts of the Inverbrackie Alternative Place of Detention on Woodside and surrounds (2012) (2.8MB PDF)
- Migration and Population Futures (2012)
- Population Movement in the Pacific: A Perspective on Future Prospects (2012)
- How much do migrants account for the unexpected rise in the labour force participation rate in Australia over the past decade? (2011) (183KB PDF)
A paper written for the 2011 Australian Conference of Economics
- Population Distribution Effects of Migration in Australia (2011)
- Understanding the Client Experience (2011)
- Economic, Civic and Social Contributions of First and Second Generation Humanitarian Entrants (2011) (4.54MB PDF)
- A Significant Contribution: the Economic, Civic and Social Contributions of First and Second Generation Humanitarian Entrants Summary Findings (2011) (1.82MB PDF)
- Competing for Skills: Migration Policies and Trends in New Zealand and Australia (2011)
- Migrant Economic Outcomes and Contributions – April 2011 (June 2011) (303KB PDF)
- Obtaining a better understanding of the Student and Skilled Graduate visa programs (2010) (1.9MB PDF)
- Citizenship in Australia (2011) (447KB PDF)
- Colloquium on the economic and physical impacts of migration (2010) (3.1MB PDF)
- Research into the Long-Term Physical Implications of Net Overseas Migration – Full Report (2010) ( 19MB PDF)
Note: An incorrect version of this report was published on 21 December 2010 and was replaced with the correct version on 18 January 2011.
- Immigration, Labour Supply and Per Capita Gross Domestic Product: Australia 2010-2050 (2010) (428KB PDF)
- Compliance with Migration Law (July 2010) (479KB PDF)
- Resolving Immigration Status, Part 1: Review of the International Literature (2009) (705KB PDF)
- Resolving Immigration Status, Part 2: Comparative Case Studies (2009) (1.0MB PDF)
Previously published research
Other research material
If you are looking for other published research, the Multicultural and Immigration Studies database (MAIS) is a useful resource.
See: Multicultural and Immigration Studies Database (MAIS)