Online Health (eHealth)
On this page
The department uses an online health system known as eHealth to conduct and record health examinations for visa applicants. The eHealth system is a web-based program that allows panel clinics to record the health assessments of applicants online.
eHealth is being used by over 150 panel clinics in 18 different countries for health assessments of eligible temporary and permanent visa applicants. During the 2008–2009 program year, over two thirds of eVisa eligible applicants have had their health assessments completed through eHealth. In November 2009 eHealth eligibility was significantly expanded, with the ultimate aim of allowing more visa applicants to complete their health examinations using eHealth.
As health examination results are submitted electronically by panel clinics, eHealth is significantly faster than the manual assessment stream. Health results submitted through eHealth are typically finalised within 48 hours of the panel physician and panel radiologist submitting their findings.
The assessment and results recorded by the panel clinics, including the client's photo, digital x-ray and report(s) are transmitted electronically to the department for processing. Using online health processing as part of lodging a visa application results in a significant reduction in the time it takes to assess a visa applicant against Australia's visa health requirement.
To be eligible for eHealth clients must be outside Australia and have either:
- lodged an eVisa application
- lodged a paper-based visa application that is being processed in Australia, and has been provided with a 'Health Examinations List' by their case officer.
eHealth is available in selected clinics displaying the eHealth logo on the list of approved panel physicians in the following countries:
- Hong Kong SAR
- People's Republic of China
- Republic of South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South Korea
- United Kingdom
Clinics that use eHealth have an eHealth logo next to their name on the list of approved panel physicians.
See: Immigration Panel Physicians
Applicants lodging their visa applications with eVisa need to complete the following:
- select an eHealth clinic (radiology and/or medical) from the list provided at the time of lodging their visa application
- answer the online medical history questions and print out 'Health Examination Referral'
- book an appointment with the selected eHealth clinic(s) and attend for their health assessments
- download and complete a Radiological report on chest x-ray (Form 160EH) and/or a Medical examination for an Australian visa (Form 26EH)
- book an appointment and attend an eHeatlh clinic for their health assessments.
Applicants will need to attend an eHealth clinic and provide their 'Health Examinations List' if one of the following applies:
- they are not lodging their applications through eVisa
- they are having their applications processed in Australia.
When visa applicants visit a clinic using eHealth, the clinic will:
- Take their digital photo and upload it to eHealth.
- Enter all examination results (including a digital chest x-ray if required) into eHealth.
Health examination and x-ray results will be instantly available to the department's health operations centre for assessment, and in most cases, finalised within 48 hours.
See: eHealth – online health processing (87KB PDF file)