Find a visa Find the right visa for your needs

Telecommunications Network Engineer – 263312

Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI)

On this page

Job description

Plans, designs, and monitors complex telecommunications networks and associated broadcasting equipment.

Skill level

This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with a Bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).   

If you require further information on this occupation, please refer to Australian Bureau of Statistics website.
See: Unit Group 2633 - Telecommunications Engineering

Information on the skill level of each occupation is consistent with the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) and may differ from the requirements set by the assessing authorities for obtaining a skills assessment. Please contact the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation to check on their requirements.

Program eligibility

Applicants in this occupation may be eligible for skilled migration under the following programs: Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS), Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS), Points Based Skilled Migration visa, Temporary Business (Long Stay) (Subclass 457).
Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187)
SkillSelect (Points Based Skilled Migration visa)
Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

A skills assessment is only required for certain visa subclasses in the skilled migration program. Please check whether a skills assessment is required for the visa subclass you want to apply for before contacting the relevant assessing authority.

Under the General Skilled Migration program, some occupations may only be available for state or territory government agency nomination. For a complete list of occupations, refer to the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
See: Skilled Occupation Lists (Formerly Known as Form 1121i)

Skills assessment authority

Before you can migrate to Australia as a skilled migrant you must have your skills assessed by the relevant national assessment authority. The assessment authority for your occupation is Engineers Australia.
See: Engineers Australia

If you want to claim points for your qualifications and/or work experience in your nominated or closely related occupation you should forward all the relevant documents to the relevant skills assessing authority. Based on your documents, the assessing authority will provide advice to the department on your qualifications and/or work experience. The department will consider this advice when awarding points for your qualifications and work experience.

Note: If your qualifications are not in a relevant field to your nominated occupation and you want to claim points, the assessing authority will be unable to provide advice to the department. In these circumstances, you are able to contact Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services (VETASSESS) who may be able to provide an opinion on your qualifications. The department will consider this advice when awarding points for your qualifications.

Licensing or registration requirements

In many occupations you must be registered with, or obtain a licence from, a government agency or authority in the state or territory in which you want to practise your occupation. Contact the appropriate authority in the state or territory to enquire about the licensing or registration requirements.


Professional engineers whose work is not supervised by a Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland must be registered to practise in Queensland.  
See: Board of Professional Engineers of Queensland


Professional engineers working in the building industry must be registered as building practitioners with the Building Commission.
See: Building Commission

Northern Territory

Professional engineers working in the building industry must be registered as building practitioners with the Building Practitioners Board.
See: Building Practitioners Board

New South Wales

Engineers providing assessment under the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act require accreditation by the Building Professionals Board.
See: Building Professionals Board


The National Professional Engineers Register (NPER) is widely recognised throughout Australia and, in many cases, is accepted as evidence of the required qualifications and competencies for registration under state and territory registration schemes (see above). NPER is administered by Engineers Australia under advice from the National Engineering Registration Board.
See: National Engineering Registration Board

Professional associations

You may benefit from becoming a member of a relevant industry association for your occupation. This could help you with your employment prospects, networking, contact with industry and professional development and may provide you with important information and support.

Engineers Australia
See: Engineers Australia

Last reviewed Tuesday 19 November 2013

Was this page useful?