Find a visa Find the right visa for your needs

Project Builder - 133112

Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI)

Previously referred to in ASCO as:
1191-13 Project Builder

On this page

Job description

Plans, organises, directs, controls and coordinates the construction, alteration and renovation of dwellings and other buildings, and the physical and human resources involved in the building process. Registration or licensing is required.

Skill level

This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).

If you require further information on this occupation please refer to the Australian Bureau of Statistics website.
See: Unit Group 1331 Construction Managers

Information on the skill level of each occupation is consistent with the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) and may differ from the requirements set by the assessing authorities for obtaining a skills assessment. Please contact the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation to check on their requirements.

Program eligibility

Applicants in this occupation may be eligible for skilled migration under the following programs: Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS), Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS), Points Based Skilled Migration visa, Temporary Business (Long Stay) (Subclass 457).
Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187)
SkillSelect (Points Based Skilled Migration visa)
Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

A skills assessment is only required for certain visa subclasses in the skilled migration program. Please check whether a skills assessment is required for the visa subclass you want to apply for before contacting the relevant assessing authority.

Under the General Skilled Migration program, some occupations may only be available for state or territory government agency nomination. For a complete list of occupations, refer to the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
See: Skilled Occupation Lists (Formerly Known as Form 1121i)

Skills assessment authority

Before you can migrate to Australia as a skilled migrant you must have your skills assessed by the relevant national assessment authority. The assessment authority for your occupation is Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services (VETASSESS).
See: Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services

If you want to claim points for your qualifications and/or work experience in your nominated or closely related occupation you should forward all the relevant documents to the relevant skills assessing authority. Based on your documents, the assessing authority will provide advice to the department on your qualifications and/or work experience. The department will consider this advice when awarding points for your qualifications and work experience.

Note: If your qualifications are not in a relevant field to your nominated occupation and you want to claim points, the assessing authority will be unable to provide advice to the department. In these circumstances, you are able to contact Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services (VETASSESS) who may be able to provide an opinion on your qualifications. The department will consider this advice when awarding points for your qualifications.

Licensing or registration requirements

In many occupations you must be registered with or obtain a license from a local authority in the state or territory where you want to practise your occupation. The following states and territories have licensing and registration requirements. For information on other States and Territories contact the local licensing and registration authority in your relevant state or territory.

New South Wales

Fair Trading
See: Fair Trading


Building Commission
See: Building Commission


Building Services Authority
See: Building Services Authority

South Australia

Office of Consumer and Business Affairs
See: Office of Consumer and Business Affairs

Northern Territory

Building Practitioners Board
See: Building Practitioners Board

Australian Capital Territory

ACT Planning and Land Authority
See: ACT Planning and Land Authority

Professional associations

You may benefit from becoming a member of a relevant industry association for your occupation. This could help you with your employment prospects, networking, contact with industry and professional development and may provide you with important information and support.

Master Plumbers Association
See: Master Plumbers Association

Housing Industry Association Ltd.
See: Housing Industry Association Ltd.

New South Wales

Master Builders Association of New South Wales.
See: Master Builders Association of New South Wales


Master Builders Association of Victoria.
See: Master Builders Association of Victoria


Queensland Master Builders.
See: Queensland Master Builders

South Australia

Master Builders Association of South Australia.
See: Master Builders Association of South Australia

Western Australia

Master Builders Association of Western Australia.
See: Master Builders Association of Western Australia

Northern Territory

Master Builders Northern Territory.
See: Master Builders Northern Territory

Australian Capital Territory

Master Builder's Association of the Australian Capital Territory.
See: Master Builder's Association of the Australian Capital Territory

Last reviewed Tuesday 19 November 2013

Was this page useful?