Find a visa Find the right visa for your needs

Electronic Instrument Trades Worker (General) - 342314

Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI)

Previously referred to in ASCO as:
4314-01 Electronic Instrument Tradespersons - Supervisor
4314-11 General Electronic Instrument Tradesperson

On this page

Job description

Installs, modifies, maintains and repairs electronic instruments and control systems.

Skill level

This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience in Australia of AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3).

At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.

If you require further information on this occupation, please refer to the Australian Bureau of Statistics website.
See: Unit Group 3423 - Electronics Trades Workers

Information on the skill level of each occupation is consistent with the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) and may differ from the requirements set by the assessing authorities for obtaining a skills assessment. Please contact the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation to check on their requirements.

Program eligibility

Applicants in this occupation may be eligible for skilled migration under the following programs: Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS), Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS), Points Based Skilled Migration visa, Temporary Business (Long Stay) (Subclass 457).
Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187)
SkillSelect (Points Based Skilled Migration visa)
Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

A skills assessment is only required for certain visa subclasses in the skilled migration program. Please check whether a skills assessment is required for the visa subclass you want to apply for before contacting the relevant assessing authority.

Under the General Skilled Migration program, some occupations may only be available for state or territory government agency nomination. For a complete list of occupations, refer to the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
See: Skilled Occupation Lists (Formerly Known as Form 1121i)

Skills assessment authority

Before you can migrate to Australia as a skilled migrant you must have your skills assessed by the relevant national assessment authority. The assessment authority for your occupation is Trades Recognition Australia.
See: Trades Recognition Australia

If you want to claim points for your qualifications and/or work experience in your nominated or closely related occupation you should forward all the relevant documents to the relevant skills assessing authority. Based on your documents, the assessing authority will provide advice to the department on your qualifications and/or work experience. The department will consider this advice when awarding points for your qualifications and work experience.

Note: If your qualifications are not in a relevant field to your nominated occupation and you want to claim points, the assessing authority will be unable to provide advice to the department. In these circumstances, you are able to contact Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services (VETASSESS) who may be able to provide an opinion on your qualifications. The department will consider this advice when awarding points for your qualifications.

Licensing or registration requirements

In many occupations you must be registered with or obtain a license from a local authority in the state or territory where you want to practise your occupation. Contact the local authority in your relevant state or territory to enquire about the licensing or registration requirements.

New South Wales

Licensing is compulsory for unsupervised electronic equipment trade work.

Fair Trading
See: Fair Trading


Licensing may be required depending on the kind of work to be carried out.

Department of Justice and Attorney - General
  See: Department of Justice and Attorney - General

South Australia

Licensing is required for electrical work.

Office of Consumer and Business Affairs
See: Office of Consumer and Business Affairs

Northern Territory

Licensing is compulsory.

Electrical Workers and Contractors Licensing Board
See: Electrical Workers and Contractors Licensing Board

Australian Capital Territory

Licensing is compulsory for Electronic Equipment Tradespersons.

ACT Planning and Land Authority
See: ACT Planning and Land Authority

Professional associations

You may benefit from becoming a member of a relevant industry association for your occupation. This could help you with your employment prospects, networking, contact with industry and professional development and may provide you with important information and support.

National Electrical and Communications Association
See: National Electrical and Communications Association

Last reviewed Tuesday 19 November 2013

Was this page useful?