Find a visa Find the right visa for your needs

Construction Project Manager - 133111

Australian Skills Recognition Information (ASRI)

Previously referred to in ASCO as:
1191-11 Construction Project Manager

On this page

Job description

Plan, organise, direct, control and coordinate the construction of civil engineering projects, buildings and dwellings, and the physical and human resources involved in building and construction.

Skill level

This occupation has a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).

If you require further information on this occupation, please refer to the Australian Bureau of Statistics website.
See: Unit Group 1331 - Construction Project Managers

Information on the skill level of each occupation is consistent with the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) and may differ from the requirements set by the assessing authorities for obtaining a skills assessment. Please contact the relevant assessing authority for your nominated occupation to check on their requirements.

Program eligibility

Applicants in this occupation may be eligible for skilled migration under the following programs: Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS), Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS), Points Based Skilled Migration visa, Temporary Business (Long Stay) (Subclass 457).
Employer Nomination Scheme (Subclass 186)
Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187)
SkillSelect (Points Based Skilled Migration visa)
Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

A skills assessment is only required for certain visa subclasses in the skilled migration program. Please check whether a skills assessment is required for the visa subclass you want to apply for before contacting the relevant assessing authority.

Under the General Skilled Migration program, some occupations may only be available for state or territory government agency nomination. For a complete list of occupations, refer to the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).
See: Skilled Occupation Lists (Formerly Known as Form 1121i)

Skills assessment authority

Before you can migrate to Australia as a skilled migrant you must have your skills assessed by the relevant national assessment authority. The assessment authority for your occupation is Vocational Education and Training Assessment Services (VETASSESS).

If you want to claim points for your qualifications and/or work experience in your nominated or closely related occupation you should forward all the relevant documents to the relevant skills assessing authority. Based on your documents, the assessing authority will provide advice to the department on your qualifications and/or work experience. The department will consider this advice when awarding points for your qualifications and work experience.

Note: If your qualifications are not in a relevant field to your nominated occupation and you want to claim points, the assessing authority will be unable to provide advice to the department. In these circumstances, you are able to contact Vocational Education Training and Assessment Services (VETASSESS) who may be able to provide an opinion on your qualifications. The department will consider this advice when awarding points for your qualifications.

Licensing or registration requirements

In many occupations you must be registered with or obtain a license from a local authority in the state or territory where you want to practise your occupation. Contact the local authority in your relevant state or territory to enquire about the licensing or registration requirements.

New South Wales

Licensing is required for all plumbing/draining/electrical/air conditioning/refrigeration work in NSW.

Fair Trading
See: Fair Trading


Registration is compulsory for Building Surveyors, Building Inspector, Quantity Surveyors, Fire Safety officers (if working in the building industry and approving designs), Draftspersons, Commercial Builders, Domestic Builders, Demolishers, Building Erectors, or Building Supervisors.

Building Commission
See: Building Commission

South Australia

Licensing is required for electrical work.

Office of Consumer and Business Affairs
See: Office of Consumer and Business Affairs

Northern Territory

Registration is compulsory in order to carry out residential building work over the value of AUD12 000.

Building Practitioners Board
See: Building Practitioners Board

Australian Capital Territory

Licensing is compulsory.

ACT Planning and Land Authority
See: ACT Planning and Land Authority

Professional associations

You may benefit from becoming a member of a relevant industry association for your occupation. This could help you with your employment prospects, networking, contact with industry and professional development and may provide you with important information and support.

Master Plumbers Association of NSW
See: Master Plumbers Association of NSW

Master Builders Australia
See: Master Builders Australia

Housing Industry Association
See: Housing Industry Association

Last reviewed Tuesday 19 November 2013

Was this page useful?