The Sponsored Family Visitor visa (subclass 679) closed to new applications on 23 March 2013.
You may be eligible to apply for a visa in the Sponsored Family stream of the Visitor visa (subclass 600).
This information is for people who have already been granted a Sponsored Family Visitor visa (subclass 679). It explains your rights and obligations.
You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.
How long your visa lasts
You can only enter Australia once while holding this visa. You can stay in Australia for the length of time we told you when the visa was granted.
What this visa lets you do
This visa allows you to visit Australia only once. If you leave Australia, you will need to apply for a new visa to return to Australia.
While in Australia you can:
- visit family and friends
- engage in tourist activities
- study for up to three months.
You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.
With this visa, you can enter Australia only once.
You are not able to:
- work in Australia
- study or train in Australia for longer than three months
- stay in Australia beyond the expiry date of your visa
- extend your stay in Australia.
This visa has a 'No further stay' condition. This means you cannot apply for any other visa while you are in Australia, except in exceptional circumstances.
This information is for a person who has sponsored a family member for a Sponsored Family Visitor visa (subclass 679).
How long the sponsorship lasts
Your sponsorship lasts until your visitor leaves Australia, or until the visa expires. Sponsorship cannot be cancelled while the visa is still valid.
You should be confident that your visiting family members will comply with their visa conditions.
You must, to the best of your ability:
- guarantee that your visitors comply with all their visa conditions while in Australia, including leaving Australia before their visas expire
- take responsibility for any costs your visitors impose on the Australian Government while they are in Australia.
If a visitor does not comply with all the conditions of their visa, you might:
- be unable to sponsor another visitor for five years
- lose your security bond (if applicable).