Skilled — Independent (subclass 175)

​This visa is closed to new applications.​


This visa uses a points test and allows you to migrate to Australia if you have competent English language and other skills and attributes which will contribute the most to the Australian economy.


This visa is for you if you:

  • are under 50 years of age
  • have competent English language skills
  • have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

About this visa

The Skilled-Independent visa (subclass 175) closed to new applications on 1 July 2012. You might be able to apply for the Skilled-Independent visa (189). You must be outside Australia when your visa is decided unless you are an eligible New Zealand citizen.

If you have applied for this visa but no visa decision has yet been made, you can add family members to your application at any time until your visa is decided.


The visa application charges are listed in Fees and charges.

Second instalment

You must pay a second instalment of the visa application charge for each applicant who:

  • is aged 18 years or older at the time of application
  • does not have functional English.

We will tell you when to pay the second instalment. You must pay it for us to grant this visa.

How can I prove I have functional English explains how you can demonstrate your language ability.

Other costs

You might have to pay other costs, such as the costs of health assessments, police certificates, or any other certificates or tests. You are responsible for making the necessary arrangements.

Visa applicants

The Skilled–Independent visa (subclass 175) closed to new applications on 1 July 2012.

This information is for people who have already applied for a Skilled–Independent visa (subclass 175).

Your family

You can add family members to your application if your visa has not yet been granted.

They must be:

  • your partner (married or de facto)
  • you or your partner’s dependent children.

These family members must meet the requirements for including family members in your application.  The application needs to include documentary evidence of their relationship to you.  This could include marriage certificates, joint bank accounts and other relevant documents.

Your family members must also be able to show that they meet Australia's health and character requirements.

Your family need to be able to show they have adequate financial support. They might also need to take the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test to show how well they speak, read and write English.

To add family members you must notify us in writing. You can use:

  • Form 1022 Notification of changes in circumstances (77 kB PDF) — if there are other changes in your circumstances.

Lodge this form by mail or courier at the Adelaide office in South Australia - attention Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre.

Email enquiry form

Visa Enquiries – Business Skills Visas

Points test

If you add your partner to your application before your visa is decided, they can also be considered against threshold skilled requirements to assess whether you are entitled to additional points under the points test.

After you have applied

Wait for a decision

We have visa processing times for each visa.

Your application could take longer if you need character or health checks (including x-rays), if you need to provide more information, or if your application is incomplete.

Outside Australia:
If you apply for this visa from outside Australia, do not make arrangements to travel to Australia until you are advised in writing that you have been granted a visa. Wait for a decision from us before you leave your job, sell your home or book your travel.

In Australia:
If you apply for this visa in Australia, you could be eligible for a Bridging visa that allows you to stay in the country lawfully while your application is processed. If you are given a Bridging visa A, you can apply for a Bridging visa B (BVB) to travel outside Australia while you wait for a decision.

Provide more information

You can provide more information to us, at any time until a decision is made on the application. If you want to correct information you provided, use:

We could also ask you for more information. You will have to respond by a set date. After that date, we can make a decision about your application using the information that we have.

If another person gives us information that could result in you being refused a visa, we will usually give you the opportunity to comment on the information.

You might also be interviewed. If you are asked to attend an interview in person, bring your passport or other identification and any requested documents to the interview.

Report changes in circumstances

You must tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth, divorce, separation, marriage, de facto relationship or death in your family.

You can use the following forms:

If you do not provide us with the details of any new passport issued to you, you could experience significant delays at the airport and may be denied permission to board your plane.

Withdrawing your application

You can withdraw the application at any time before we make a decision about it. To do this, send us a letter or email to ask for the withdrawal. Your request must include your full name and date of birth. You should also include the number we gave you when you applied, if you know it – this could be a file reference number, client ID, or a Transaction Reference Number.

If you are 18 years of age or older, you must sign the letter of withdrawal or send a separate email or letter.

Visa decision

If the visa is granted, we will let you know:

  • when you can use the visa
  • the visa grant number
  • any conditions attached to the visa.

You will not have a visa label placed in your passport.

If the visa is not granted, we will let you know:

  • why the visa was refused
  • your review rights (if any). Where applicable, your sponsor can apply for the decision to be reviewed
  • the time limit for lodging an appeal.

Contact information

If information needs to be updated contact the Adelaide General Skilled Migration (GSM) processing centre.​

Visa holders

This information is for people who have been granted a Skilled-Independent visa (subclass 175). It explains your rights and obligations.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) for free to check your visa details and entitlements.

What this visa lets you do

This is a permanent residence visa. It lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa to:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Your obligations

You and your family must comply with all visa conditions and Australian laws.

Report changes in circumstances

Tell us if your circumstances change. This includes a new residential address, a new passport, or a pregnancy, birth or death in your family.

You can use the following forms:

Success stories

Ollie holding his son

Watching Ololade Fasugba and his five-year-old boy Dare (pronounced dar-ee) cuddle for a photo, smiles as wide as Africa, it’s hard to believe the paediatric registrar at the Canberra Hospital (since 2011) was once so afraid of newborns, he swore he’d never work with kids.

Read more