Resident Return visa online application

Start an application

To start an online application you will need to login to your ImmiAccount. If you do not have an ImmiAccount you will be prompted to create one.

You must add as much information as possible before you submit your application. Applications with missing information might take longer to finalise.

When completing your online application you must not copy and paste bullet points, numbering, accents etc from formatted documents into the free text fields. Only use numbers 0 – 9 and letters A – Z (upper and lower case), dashes '-' and underscores '_'.​​​

Application type
Who is this for
Resident Return visa (subclass 155 and 157) For Australian permanent residents, former Australian permanent residents and former Australian citizens.
Note: Not all applicants are able to apply online. The online system will tell you if you are unable to use this method. Follow the instructions provided.
Start application

To complete an application you might be required to attach supporting documentation. You will need to check the relevant document checklist on the visa subclass page.​​​​

Track and manage your application

You will need to login to your ImmiAccount. If you do not have an account you will need to create one to access online visa services. You can use your account to:

  • continue a saved application​
  • attach documents
  • update passport details
  • change email and address details
  • check progress of your application.

Transaction Reference Number

A Transaction Reference Number (TRN) is a unique number assigned to each online application. You will need this to:

  • track and manage your application
  • identify your application when you communicate with us
  • check your visa entitlements.

Visa labels

You do not need to have a visa label or stamp in your passport to enter or remain in Australia.

Your visa is linked electronically to the passport details that you provided to the department. Having this electronic connection enables online checking of visa details by visa holders, airlines, registered Australian organisations and government agencies.

You can use Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) without charge to check your visa details and entitlements.

When you check-in to fly to Australia, airline staff will electronically confirm that you have a valid visa to travel to Australia before you board the aircraft irrespective of the type of Australian visa you have been granted. This check happens even if you have a visa label in your passport.

Note: Obtaining a visa label for your Resident Return visa will incur a charge. To make a request refer to Form 1405 Visa label request and payment (253KB PDF).


Before you start your application you should read all the information about the Resident Return visa (subclass 155 and 157) and Return Documents for Australian Citizens and Permanent Residents.

Help for ImmiAccount including Quick Reference Guides, FAQs and common error messages is available from the ImmiAccount page.

If you have read all of the available information, and you still require help, contact us with your enquiry.​​​