We are committed to being open and accountable, fair, lawful and reasonable in dealing with our clients. We are also committed to providing high quality client service. Your feedback is valuable to us and will help to improve the quality of our programs and service delivery.


Client Feedback Policy

The Client Feedback Policy (235KB PDF file) builds on the provisions in the Client Service Charter. It sets the direction and provides guidance around how we will manage and respond to client feedback.

Feedback includes compliments, complaints, suggestions or any information about our program delivery, services or performance.

  • Compliments are expressions of satisfaction with, or praise for our program delivery, services or performance.
  • Complaints are expressions of dissatisfaction about our products or services or the complaints-handling process itself.
  • Suggestions are comments on how we could improve our program delivery, services or performance.

How can I provide feedback?

You can provide feedback in the following ways:

Immigration dob-in

If you have information to provide about suspected offences against Australian immigration and citizenship law, go to the Immigration Dob-in Service.

Who will know about my feedback?

Your privacy and confidentiality will be respected and protected. If you don't want to provide your name, you don't have to. If you do provide your name, you will not be discriminated against or disadvantaged in your dealings with us.

How long will it take?

If you contact the Global Feedback Unit we will acknowledge your feedback within one working day and respond within 10 working days.

What if I need help to provide feedback in Australia?

If you need an interpreter you can contact the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) toll free on 131 450.

If you have a hearing, speech or communication impairment you can contact us through the National Relay Service (NRS). Text telephone (TTY) or modem callers can contact the NRS toll free on 133 677.

What can I do if I am still not satisfied?

If you are not happy with how we have handled your feedback, you can contact:

  • the Global Feedback Unit and tell us why
  • the Commonwealth Ombudsman
    Telephone: 1300 362 072 (local call charge), 9 am to 5 pm AEDT (GMT +11), Monday to Friday
  • a Member of Parliament in Australia.

Similar information is available in other languages.

Award for Client Service Excellence (ACSE)

The ACSE is an award to acknowledge departmental staff who provide an exceptional level of client service; display the highest standards of professionalism and integrity; go ‘above and beyond’ their normal duties and exceed expectations.

If you would like to nominate a staff member for an ACSE, please complete the ACSE Nomination Form.

Claiming compensation from the department

If you think we have made a mistake that has caused you financial loss or some other detriment, you may be able to make a claim for compensation.

Referring complaints to the correct agency

Making a complaint about an Australian passport

For complaints about Australian passports you can:

or contact your nearest Australian Embassy, Consulate or High Commission.

Making a complaint about a registered migration agent

 If you are not satisfied with the service provided by your registered migration agent, you should complain to the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (Office of the MARA).
Example: Complaints about registered migration agents could be any breach of the Migration Agents Code of Conduct. This may include:

  • providing misleading advice
  • not providing current contact details
  • not providing a statement of services
  • not declaring a conflict of interest
  • not charging a reasonable fee
  • not acting in a timely manner.

Report an unregistered migration agent

If you want to report an unregistered migration agent, please contact our Dob-in service.

Australian Customs and Border Protection Service

If your feedback relates to the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service, go to Customs complaints and compliments.
Example: Importing and exporting goods by air, sea or post.

Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service

If your feedback relates to services provided by the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service go to AQIS Compliments and Complaints.
Example: Animal and plant quarantine; import and export inspection and certification; quarantine at international airports, seaports, mail exchanges and container depots.

Australian Federal Police

If your feedback relates to services provided by the Australian Federal Police (AFP) go to AFP Feedback and Complaints.
Example: Conduct or actions of individual AFP appointees; practices and procedures of the AFP.

Last reviewed Thursday 23 January 2014

Was this page useful?


Success stories

Photograph of Malik Osman

​Malik Osman is a young man with an exciting future ahead. He runs his own successful design business, is an award winning filmmaker and works on new media youth products for the NSW Community Relations Commission. Malik's drive and determination comes from his and his family's early life as Somalian refugees.