We have a duty of care towards people in immigration detention. We must apply the policy, laws, rules and practices governing people in our care.
Legislation related to immigration detention
Other Commonwealth legislation
The following Commonwealth legislation is available at the Comlaw website.
- Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986
- Ombudsman Act 1976
- Freedom of Information Act 1982
- Privacy Act 1988.
We also have obligations under international law and conventions to which Australia is a signatory:
- The Convention and Protocol relating to the Status of Refugees
- The Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment
- The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
- The Convention on the Rights of the Child
- The International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights
- The Vienna Convention on Consular Relations
- The Convention relating to the Status of Stateless Persons and the Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness
- The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
- The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination
- The Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women.